Monday, October 5, 2009

Yucky Yuck Yuck

I guess I take smoke free environments for granted. I thought we were living in a time that state governments had gotten with the program. Apparently not so in the state of Virginia.

The little guy and I took the car into our dealer in Falls Church, Virginia to have the oil changed and the tires rotated. Good times. I usually associate a trip to the dealer with a trip to IHOP (the pancake place) as there isn't really anything to do by the highway without a car. So after dropping off the familymobile, the little guy and I puttered over to the restaurant.

We were seated in a back section and got all comfortable. I then started smelling smoke. Well that's weird, I thought to myself. I looked behind me and there was a woman in the section next to ours smoking a cigarette. I was so offended I immediately got up and asked to be moved to the furthest point from the smoking section. Isn't smoking in restaurants banned in the state of Virginia? Apparently not. It's not like the little guy and I were sitting in a bar (which would make it more understandable).

I asked the waiter about it and he said he wasn't familiar with the law. I had already ordered my breakfast so I settled into my new booth with the little guy. I ate as quickly as possible and packed up to head back to the dealership. Luckily they had been super fast so off we went to the car wash for our next car related activity.

I don't mean to be all high and mighty, but as a Mom, I have become a whole lot more concerned about things like this. My 9 month old doesn't really need to be inhaling poison with his applesauce breakfast break.

I just can't wrap my head around how the state law supports people smoking in "family friendly" restaurants? That @#% just doesn't fly here in Washington, DC.

No comments: