Saturday, November 6, 2010

Decisions

Lately it seems like everyone is asking me if my son is going to go to preschool in September 2011.  Applications are due soon and the process of guaranteeing your spot is a serious one.

This has brought up a lot of issues for me.  Do I go back to work and put both kids in preschool all day, every day?  Do I put them in school until 3:30 pm and get a nanny to watch them until 6:30 pm every day?  Do I try and find a part time job that will give me more flexibility? 

OR

Do I just embrace what I am doing and keep my son home with me for at least another year?  Just because his older sister was so obviously ready for preschool at that age, it doesn't really mean he will be. 

I have been a Stay-at-Home Mom for 4 years this month and I've never really had a long term plan.  I've been hoping the right answer would just come to me.  It hasn't.

And I don't like that I am feeling pressure to make a decision.  I had my hair cut today (it had been a loooong time), and my hair stylist asked who was pressuring me.  Good question.  Maybe I'm the one putting all this pressure on myself.

Anyway, I don't usually read my husband's Wall Street Journal, but today there was an interesting set of articles on the state of Motherhood.  Check out Mother Madness by Erica Jong for an interesting perspective.  And then check out the author's daughter's perspective, Growing Up With Ma Jong.

Common sense would lead me to conclude that I really just need to do what I feel is right for my family and I.  Only problem is, I don't know what is right!

To be continued....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christine only you know what is best for you and your family. Don't pressure yourself or let anyone else pressure you!! But do take some time to think about what YOU want to do!! Don't stay home because it's the easy, comfortable thing to do if it's not what you truly want to do. Don't lose yourself in "mommyhood" or you will have a very hard time finding yourself later.

Good luck!
Love,
Val

Anonymous said...

can you cover all the bases and keep your options open (apply and back out if it doesn't feel right)? J.

Anonymous said...

Or, you can let the little guy go to pre-school, perhaps only in the mornings, so that you can take some much-needed time to yourself to: do nothing. have a coffee. read a paper. sit on the couch and watch the dust gather...
my little one started nursery school 2 months ago, she goes 3 mornings a week (of which I'm there one morning, it's a co-op). It's only in the last 2 weeks that I have given myself permission to take that time to myself - not to do any part-time work, clean the house, etc etc. I'm also struggling with the when-to-go-back-to-work questions - the idea of both of us running out the door at 8:30am, only to return for dinner and bath, doesn't do much for me. I've decided that when I go back to work, likely in the next year or two, it will have to be part-time. Too many sacrifices otherwise!