Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"I Boy"

Things around here have been busy.  Not sure if I'm just adjusting to the new season, or things really are just plain busy.  Essentially I have lots to say, and no time to write it.  Or, more like, lots to say and by the time I get a chance to write I really don't feel like writing.

But here I sit, with a second to spare, and I want to take this opportunity to capture a moment I do not want to forget.  Because ultimately, that is what this blog is about.  When I am sitting in my rocking chair in a retirement home all old and gray, I want to read these words and remember.

We had just gotten back from an excursion in the car.  I walked over and opened the little guy's door to unbuckle and get him out.  I said, "Hi, Baby."  He looked at me and said, "I no baby!  I boy!"  I let out a big laugh and gave him a bear hug while kissing his boy cheeks.  "Indeed, my love, you are a boy," I replied.

I suppose when the kid is saying it himself, it must be true.  My baby is a boy.  He will be 3 in less than 3 months.  He is a boy.  And, as hard as it may be, it is time for me to embrace it.  It's only been a week, but those words have been repeated many times around this house.  We all know that the little guy is a boy, and that he's happy to be one. 

Between you and me though, he'll always be my baby.

No comments: