Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Friday Night

My lovely husband allowed me to escape last Friday night.  I had tickets to see the spectacular Kathleen Edwards at the 9:30 Club.  I was really looking forward to it, that is, until the babe came down with a fever at school and I had to pick her up, about 8.5 hours before I was to be heading out the door for my big night out.

Luckily my husband reassured me he would be fine and the babe would be fine, too.  "Go and have fun," he said (or something like that).  So I did.  There was a little bit of guilt, but a lot of excitement.  You may not recall, but I am a big Kathleen Edwards fan and if I were a rock star, I'd like to be sorta like her (she is from my hometown, Ottawa, after all).

So, the concert was great.  Hanging out with my old friend was great.  But getting home at 1:00 am to a sick little girl was not great.  My husband had just changed the sheets on her bed as she had thrown up. 

Now, what you probably don't know is that Kathleen Edwards released a new album a few weeks ago, Voyageur.  One of the songs on this album is called "Change the Sheets" and I have been listening to it while driving around town with the kids.  They dig it (excellent taste, those kids of mine).

Now this may not be completely on the up and up, but I had agreed to tape a little bit of "Change the Sheets" on my phone to show the babe (I was trying to make her feel better).  How appropriate is it then that when I got home, just after my husband had changed the babe's sheets, she sweetly asked me if I could play "Change the Sheets" on my phone for her.  That 5 year old sure is a dedicated fan!  And was I ever glad I had figured out how to tape with my phone in a dark night club.

Saturday was a rough day for all of us.  But I sure was glad I'd been able to rock out with K.E.

The babe is back in good health and all is well.

No comments: