Monday, March 31, 2014

Pinky Promise

I haven't been writing about my crazy kids lately. I haven't been sharing my ups and downs with parenting (because this whole thing is a roller coaster of joy and pain). And I haven't told you how I'm starting to understand what people mean when they say "it all goes by so fast..."

I did want to share a conversation I had with my 5-year-old son this morning as we drove to preschool.

We were covering the basics around levels of education. First we go to preschool, then elementary school, then middle school, then high school, then university. Things got really emotional when we got to the university level. He realized I was talking about him leaving home and he put his foot down.

The little guy made it clear he will always want to live with me. As in forever. And he doesn't want a wife and children unless we can all live together. He was so serious, and so saddened at the idea of us ever being split apart. Looking at his troubled face, I too was saddened at the prospect of my son ever leaving home. I can't imagine NOT living with my sweet little guy forever and ever.

We were pretty worked up by the time we got to drop off and I kinda wanted to just keep driving with him...enjoy the moment for as long as possible. My beautiful five-year-old, wanting nothing more than a guarantee we could always be together (and no, living next door wasn't a satisfactory option for him).

The little guy made me pinky promise that we will live together forever. I told him that if that's what he wants, then yes, I pinky promise.

No comments: