Friday, July 17, 2009

Getting it Back

It's been a while. First, thank you for all the messages, calls and emails. I have felt so loved.

Second, we're all OK. It was a tad crazy trying to get back to normal last week. My awesome Mother flew in on Monday morning and stayed with us until Thursday which allowed me to get work done. I was amazed at how our lives became so discombobulated by the fire. It seemed like everywhere I looked there was something to do. It was also tough to remain positive and focus on the fact that it all turned out OK.

We have sadly not returned to our sleeping routine which we had worked so hard to establish with the little guy. This has made life fuzzy for me. I am back to waking constantly and having to let him cry it out at times. I am not as tough as I was before and this has also made it difficult to get back on track. In addition, I am worried and find it difficult to keep my mind in check at night. We have now installed smoke detectors in each of the kids rooms as well as a fire extinguisher upstairs which has given me some comfort (I would encourage you to do the same if you have kids!).

Two days after the fire, the little guy had his 6 month check up with the pediatrician and came through with flying colours. He is 95th percentile in height which is pretty cool. The doc said she would have had no idea he had been involved in a fire a few days earlier if I had not told her. What a relief.

He also just survived a trip to the allergist yesterday. They did skin testing for the first time, and I am so darn happy to tell you that he came back negative on all 12 things they tested him for. I was so thrilled I almost started crying. I had been preparing myself for the worst and was already trying to accept that I would have 2 kids with food allergies. We're not in the clear yet, but this is a very good sign.

I had given him some peas last weekend and he had developed a rash about 4 hours later. I was convinced he was going to be an epi pen kid like his big sister. Yet they tested for peas and he came back negative which leads me to believe it could be a teething thing as he drools non stop. Anyway, relief doesn't begin to describe how I am feeling on the food allergy front!

Now back to the fire. The babe is talking about it every day. We are encouraging her to discuss it whenever she wants and she seems to be OK with it all. We have reassured her many times, and will continue to do so. Time will tell.

The little guy was definitely off his mark all last week. Between 4 immunization shots and the fire, he was not his usual pleasant self. I could tell he really just needed lots of love and comforting. He knew that some bad stuff had gone down...I have no doubt.

Anyway, as I said, we're all OK. We're working our way back to normal...although things are different now. We are seeing things in a changed way. I am trying to focus on the fact that I saved my son's life instead of on the fact that he was minutes away from the worst fate possible. I am trying to be strong, despite the exhaustion.

Thanks again for all the love and support. I am surrounded in person and spirit with amazing people (and angels, apparently).

1 comment:

Katy said...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you guys are working through it--lucky for your kids they have such a great mom to help them make sense of it and feel safe again. Take care of yourself and lean on your network of angels when you need us! ha ha. Lots of love to you guys.