Thursday, February 28, 2008

Isn't She A Bit Young For An Eating Disorder?

Unbelievable. The babe has a fascination with sticking her hand in her mouth and gagging. It is as if she is attempting to be bulimic. Not funny. I have always firmly told her to stop and that she is going to hurt herself. Yesterday she took it to a new level. She was sitting in her high chair finishing up her lunch. I had gone over to the dishwasher when I heard her making the all too familiar gagging sounds. Then I heard something different. It was the sound of the babe throwing up her lunch.

It seems rather bizarre behavior for a 15 month old child. She has certainly never seen anyone sticking their hand down their throat, so I'm not sure where she picked it up. Friends have suggested she's probably just experimenting with her body or teething. Although I don't know any other kids who exhibit this kind of behavior, surfing the web has made me feel like the babe isn't the only strange bird out there (thanks, BabyCenter). We have her 15 month doctor appointment in a few weeks and I'll be asking about this.

Hopefully she learnt her lesson yesterday. Gaging yourself can have yucky and uncomfortable consequences.

If you know anything about this strange behavior, feel free to post a comment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!!! This made me laugh so much. If she strange for doing it, my girls are freaks too. Tess and Mimi both went through a stage of experimenting with their gag reflexes. I was told it was quite normal. Tess only made herself vomit once (Tuna pasta all over the sofa) and then she stopped doing it. Mimi must be slower, it took her quite a few vomits to work out that it wasn't so nice. Her favourite spot was in the car - yay!! Thank god she has grown out of it.

So don't freak out, am sure it is just normal behaviour.

Cath

PS Just be thankful she is exploring her gag reflex, my two are both obsessed with the girlie bits at the moment. Am sure the babe will get there too! Something to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

Yes I was talking to Rachel and Tamzen is doing the exact same thing at the moment. Seems to be normal, who knew.
xoxo,
Amy