Monday, February 25, 2008

When Sparks Fly

I think the babe could have started a fire by rubbing her pajama legs together last week. I'm not sure if her Carter's one piece pajamas are a fire hazard, but it certainly seemed that way while we were visiting our families in Canada.

No kidding. While I would be completing the last steps of getting the babe ready for bed (in the dark for a more calming effect, of course), I would notice little sparks when she moved her legs around. That can't be a good thing.

Not only was she fighting a cold and cough, but I was having serious itchy scratchy problems due to the dryness. I guess the babe's pajamas felt the same way. Canada can be a very dry place in the winter, so I started using a humidifier my Dad had bought us at Christmas (thanks, Dad!). The humidifier worked wonders. The sparks stopped flying and I stopped itching. But I'm really wondering why I was seeing sparks in the first place. It just doesn't seem safe to be putting your child into clothes that pose a fire risk.

I was a tad nervous about using our "warm mist" humidifier as I had read that "cool mist" was the best option for young children. After further research, it would appear as though the only reason they recommend cool mist is to prevent children from burning themselves on the warm mist models. As the babe is still trapped in a crib at night, there is no need to worry. The added bonus of the warm mist humidifier is that it kills more bacteria as it boils the water. You just have to make sure you clean the thing out regularly.

We're back home below the Mason-Dixon line now. I've got our cool mist humidifier running and I'm hoping I don't see any more sparks flying.

PS- I'm also happy to announce that spell check is working again!!

No comments: