Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Testing Me

The babe is challenging me constantly. And not in a good way. I am very ready for her to go to school in September. Despite the fact she may one day read this, I have to admit I am loving my time with the little guy, and enduring the time with the babe. Some people love the toddler stage, whereas I am quickly realizing that I do not have the patience required. I know I need to try harder, be more calm, and try to be a bit more creative with her, but most of the time I'm just trying to get through the day without losing it on her.

We had friends over for dinner on Saturday night and while we sat at the table eating, the babe (who was supposed to be watching "educational" cartoons) took a crayon and drew on the living room wall and then on the front door. Last week she hit her brother (still a baby) on the head 3 times. Yesterday morning she hit me. The day before she tried to bite me. She has kicked me countless times (intentionally I might add) while I am changing her diaper (which I am very sick of doing). She can also be abusive with her little friends. Last week she bludgeoned a worm to death with a stick. That can't be a good sign, can it?

One of her new favorites is, "No, YOU don't talk to me that way." I have replied that I can talk to her any way I want because I am her mother. She replies, "No, you're NOT my mother."

When asked why she did something (always a naughty something), she will usually reply, "Because I DO THAT sometimes."

What happened to my sweet little baby girl? Is this going to happen to the little guy as well, or is this just the babe's personality coming out in full force? No one told me having a baby was easier than having a toddler (except for the continued sleep deprivation). Does that mean it's just going to keep getting harder and harder?

She makes me want to run back to the land of the employed (gasp)...but that would mean I couldn't be with the little guy, and I can not even ponder that possibility. I suppose I must soldier on until school begins. I think we will all be ready when it does.

But it's not all bad. The babe can be really sweet to me at times and she is really cute when she's sleeping. Count my blessings, right?

3 comments:

Catherine Ryan said...

My only comment is that children look so cute when they are asleep for one reason - it gives us a chance to fall in love with them and forgive them for the days horror.

She'll be nice again...when she's 25 or 30!

Love and support flowing your way - though not too much, I need some of it for myself to get through my day.

C

Anonymous said...

I am not a mom but I do know the people test you and see how far they can push and how much controle they have. You are the boss and at some point she'll realize that and she'll be better person/daughter.
I'm sending you much love and best wishes and support.
xoxo,
Amy

Mamabeing said...

Love to you Mama. I can see the first glimmers of Ardan's spirit these days and I feel I am going to be in for some of the same. Babies are EASY. I remember Debbie told me that around the time your kid turns this age, you fall out of love. This must be why....
But, on the bright side...be happy that you have a little girl with a strong voice and mind of her own. She will work it out, and in a year or so, you'll be on to the next challenge....