Friday, March 11, 2011

Overanalysis?

This week I had a moment of panic.  Am I over analyzing all this parenting stuff?  Am I over thinking every decision and what its potential impact on my children may be?  Does it mean that I'm slightly crazy because I'm taking a parenting class? In fact, does it make me even crazier that I have just signed up for the second session of this parenting class?

This was all brought about because I had my annual visit to the OB-GYN doctor.  I think my doctor is awesome.  She's smart, young, easy to talk to, and always makes you feel better about things (like telling you it's OK you were drinking beer before you knew you were actually pregnant).

But this week, while she reassured me that everything looks good with my body, she didn't reassure me about my parenting.  In fact, my doctor's comments made me question myself and the fact that I have pretty much dedicated myself to tackling this positive parenting stuff.  I mentioned to her that I was taking this class because I was really struggling with my "spirited" preschooler.  She made a few comments about how my daughter was just a normal kid and that it all goes with the territory. 

As I have mentioned, I am taking my course work seriously and am really trying to apply what I'm learning in the class room and in my text book to my daily life as a Mom.

I spent a good chunk of time wondering if my doc was right (and I don't like spending good chunks of valuable time questioning myself).  I brought this up with my husband, and in explaining the story to him, I came to the realization of why my doc didn't understand what I was talking about.  My doctor, as awesome as she is, has not yet become a Mother herself.  She has helped many women become Mothers (such as yours truly), but she has never been in the challenging situations in which I find myself daily (she faces much different daily challenges, I'm sure!).

As soon as I came to that realization, the questioning stopped.  And that's a good place to be.

1 comment:

Mamabeing said...

I'm glad you stopped questioning. There's nothing wrong with trying to get new ideas and improve as a mum...you know better than anyone what is going on in your relationship with your daughter. Probably your Doc is right too, it's normal and comes with the territory...but still, we want to figure out how to respond to normal so that it doesn't become twisted, and survive in the territory. I think you're doing great to open yourself up to support and information, and share it with us all!