Friday, February 5, 2010

Anemia? Really?

We had the little guy's 12 month doctors appointment the day after he turned 13 months old.

Things went well until the needles came out.

Sadly he had to have a kazillion shots and blood work done. A long morning for my little trooper.

This week I got a form letter from the pediatrician saying my son has iron deficiency anemia. WHAT? My kid has a pretty solid diet and I didn't quite understand how he could be anemic. He doesn't act or look anemic. Hmmmm.

I called the doctor's office and asked to speak with someone about the test results. I wanted to understand the severity of the problem. A nurse looked into it for me and called back.

Turns out the "normal" range is 3.95 to 4.96. The little guy's results were 3.94. I was told that if he had eaten banana or drank orange juice that day, it could have thrown his results off. Why yes, in fact, my son had consumed a WHOLE banana the morning of his blood work.

I was told I did NOT have to put him on the "Polyvisol with iron" medication that had been recommended in the form letter.

I don't know, but that seems like pretty slack analysis of his blood work. Not much thought could have been put into it when they automatically threw a form letter in the mail and recommended I put my kid on daily iron medicine for the next 3-6 months.

I was not impressed with the allergist's office last week (blood work indicating my son is not allergic to dairy when he CLEARLY IS), and I am not impressed with the pediatrician's office this week. Any other medical professionals feel like messing around with us?

The experience serves as a reminder that I have to be a constant health advocate for my family. No one else is going to ask the important questions but me. No pressure, right?

1 comment:

The Essence of India said...

Oh lord, I'm sorry. Hey I saw this blog and I thought you might get a kick out of it.
http://curiouspages.blogspot.com/