Friday, May 6, 2011

Her Words

Perhaps I got my Mother's Day present early this year.

This morning as the babe, the little guy and I were driving to school, my daughter and I were having a discussion about all the work we do around our house and how we can try and get out the door more quickly in the morning.  I was flustered as my children hadn't been listening to me when it came time to head to the door and put shoes and sweaters on.  I was blathering on about being late, again.

I then proceeded onto the topic of how the babe can help us so things can move along a little smoother in the morning.  The conversation then moved into discussing how my husband, otherwise known as "Papa," works hard so we can have food, clothes, and a home.  The babe then chimed in, "Yeah, Mama.  And you do all the work except going to work."  And yes, by going to "work," my sweet girl meant "the office."

I went from being strung out and flustered to melting in one second flat.  How insanely beautiful is that?  I did not plant the seed so she could deliver a line like that.  She did it all on her own.

And for the first time this week, I felt really appreciated, if only for a minute.  It's almost as if she knew how badly I needed to hear that.  Because being a Mama is hard.  And it is moments like those where I stop questioning whether or not I am doing the right thing by being a stay-at-home-Mama right now.  And that clarity, however brief, will hopefully fuel me until the next kind word, gesture or acknowledgement comes my way. 

Hopefully I will be able to compose a reflectinve and inspiring post for Mother's Day this Sunday, but in case I don't, I leave you with this:

To all you great Moms out there who take care of business, Happy Mother's Day.   

1 comment:

Mamabeing said...

I love this! It's so true, mother's rarely receive appreciation from their "employer" until maybe 20 years after the hardest part is over. Sigh. Glad you got that. You deserve it! Looking forward to catching up soon.