Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Canadians Skate

As I've mentioned, we recently returned from a long trip to Canada.

Last Saturday I decided we needed to make more of an effort to expose our kids to "Canadian" things, and while Canada doesn't own ice skating, there sure is a lot of it going on up there.

So we packed up the kids after nap time and drove out to the rink.  I'm not sure what I expected, but it was really, really hard to take a 4 year old and 2 year old to a busy public skating rink.  There's the part where you have to stand in line and buy your ticket, the part where you stand in line and rent skates, the part where you squeeze onto a crowded bench and wrestle with children getting them into the skates, the part where you try and walk them to the rink and get on the actual ice without killing anyone, and the part where you try and skate around hunched over holding onto the full weight of a 30/34 pound child while trying not to collide into the boards or other skaters.

Guess how many times the little guy and I made it around?  3.  Guess how many times the babe and her Dad made it around?  2.  Guess who could barely move the next morning?  My Husband and I.  But guess who really dug skating? Both of my dual citizen children.  Check them out watching the Zamboni drive by.  Fascinating stuff, eh?

So will we do it again?  Yes.  Will it be soon?  Let me get back to you after my back and arms have healed.

No comments: