Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Cuddles

I have a good friend due to have her first baby at the end of the month.  Today she came by with her husband to pick up some baby stuff we're lending them.  I am glad to see it put to good use.  But it also made me realize I don't really need to keep all this stuff.  My baby is 19 months old now and will never need a little swing or bouncy seat again.

Thinking about it made me a bit sad.  It also made me long for the cuddles I used to get from both of my kids when they were babies.  There is a closeness you lose as your children grow, and I miss it.

So it's funny that on a day I was missing my snuggles, my son gave me such a special gift.  The kids went to bed a little later than usual tonight and my son was exhausted by the time I was getting him in his onesie and sleep sack.  I don't know how it happened but I ended up holding him and rocking back and forth while humming.  And he let me just hold him.  He didn't squirm.  He didn't try to wiggle out of the hug.  And he didn't push away from me with all his strength.  This lasted a few minutes, and it was bliss.

There's nothing like holding a little one in your arms.  A few years ago I wouldn't have believed that I could miss it.

2 comments:

Thomas M. Baily said...

I think I may have already made this comment, but in case I didn't: I LOVE your posts about what you're reading with your kid. They make me want to be a mom more than just about anything else I've ever read. I really hope I'll be able to have the same experience with my kid someday.
assignment-help-sydney.com

Sophie Grace said...

This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. net worth