Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Distance

I don't know if I've told you, but the distance between the street (where we park) and our front door is immense...and not just in kid terms...in adult terms.  It takes a few serious trips to get groceries, assorted bags and children in the door safely. As much as I don't get structured workouts, I do haul a whole lotta weight up and down our path on a daily basis.

Lately I've been having a seriously difficult time getting both kids into the house.  We get back from wherever we've been, and the babe automatically runs off onto the lawn, or the porch, or to her gardening tools, the chalk, or the stray soccer ball which is always hanging around.  Then the little guy jerks himself out of my arms because he wants in on the action too (I miss those infant car seat days).  At this point I usually REALLY have to go to the bathroom, am pretty dehydrated, and want either a coffee or a glass of wine (or both, just to cover all my bases).  But the kids want to play, and what Mother doesn't want her kids to play?

Some days I suck it up and let them run amok (this is probably not going to help my bladder in the long run).  Other days I drag them in the front door kicking and screaming (literally) so I can take shoes off, carry/guide them upstairs to go to the bathroom, and then back downstairs where we put shoes back on, and then head out (without coffee or wine). 

The nice weather is a really big hit and I feel guilty when I force them inside.  And I really am trying to avoid temper tantrums which usually involve the babe yelling "...but I DON'T WANT TO BE INSIIIIIIDE."  Sometimes I just have to drag them in because I have too much to do. I end up making a bunch of special art project and snack related promises to the babe to try and ease the transition (it doesn't always work).  And at this point I've also probably been yelling at them to get inside and counting to 3 so many times the neighbors must think I'm a mad woman.

When we moved here I was so jazzed about all the yard space and possibilities for endless exploration.  And I am still psyched to have it.  I just wish I could shrink the distance between the car and our front door on the days that I DON'T WANT TO BE OUTSIIIIIIDE!

No comments: